Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hiya! (Designer Drive-By)

Hey Art Walkers! I'm Alyson, and I designed the Reims Stocking pattern that you received as a surprise with your shipment this month! Since you've started to receive your shipments - apparently due to Roxanne's amazing ability to bend time, space, and the postal service to her will! - I wanted to post a greeting and talk a bit about my inspiration for the pattern and how crazy I am about Roxanne's yarn now!

I'd not worked with Zen Yarn Garden before Roxanne contacted me about a pattern. (How could this be???) Once I had the yarn in my hands and had loved it half to death, I spent some time thinking about all the elements there were to play with. I knew I wanted something that would look good in both a semi-solid and a variegated, so that it would be equally complimentary to all of Zen Yarn Garden's wonderful yarns. I also knew I wanted something that would fit in with the arts and that was a little "zen". I started perusing some of my books and in one, I spotted a lace pattern, called Gazebo Lace, that had an element that reminded me very much of the flying buttresses and architectural elements of the great cathedrals of Europe. (And I couldn't help thinking that few things were more "zen" then centuries-old cathedrals!) I even recalled a photo I'd seen of Reims Cathedral in France - and I was set, with all my elements satisfied! I was really excited about playing with the lace pattern - the bobble cast on creates points reminiscent of the peaks and spires of Reims, and is a fun alternative to the standard ribbed cuff. The heel flap even evokes the tall, grand doorways of the European cathedral!

I was even more excited when I saw that Roxanne had selected Monet as her own inspiration - a colourway inspired by one of the greatest ever French artists just plays up the Reims pattern wonderfully!

The pattern is on Ravelry, if you want to queue it up (you know you wanna!). ;-)

It's been a real joy designing this pattern and working with Zen Yarn Garden (delightful yarn AND artist!) I really look forward to seeing what you create, and if I can ever be of any assistance whatsoever with pattern support, please feel free to contact me. My email is alysonknitsATgmailDOTcom, my blog is The YoYo Knits, and my Ravelry name is YoYoKnits. I'd love to hear from you!

Happy knitting!

3 comments:

RoxanneZYG said...

LOL! I *wish* I could bend time and space and all that - it's be a fabulous power to have :) Thanks for dropping by Alyson and as you already know, loved working with you too...you managed to take a vision I had a put it on paper and into a sock! Thank you!!

InkyOrchid said...

All queued up and ready to go. When I have the time again. Ack! Christmas knittng.

Donna Lee said...

I love the pattern. Socks are the perfect place to try new patterns because they are small and you get to see results quickly. My yarn arrived yesterday and it's a good thing it's superwash because with all the petting it got, it would be a felted skein. As usual, Roxanne got the colors just right and since I just finished my picasso socks, I am ready to embark on another adventure.